We are an Irish owned family business who have designed and handcrafted a comprehensive range of garden lights.
Our hardworking team members include Niall, Joan, daughters Eva and Grace, together with our loyal staff. We have now been involved in engineering for over 35 years.
Niall trained as a fitter in Ireland, progressing to advanced pipe welding, progressing to a career in commercial diving / salvage, before returning to the general engineering scene. Using all these skills and experience gained over the many years, we designed a unique range of cast iron garden lighting, the very best quality available anywhere.
Our motif is based upon the Claddagh ring design combining celtic imagery and symbolism to bring an appealing look to our unique cast iron lampposts.
Throughout our time in business we have achieved an excellent reputation for quality and craftsmanship with our garden lighting product.
We have many, many satisfied customers both here in Ireland, the UK, mainland Europe and the USA.
Our range of outdoor garden lights will add value, security and elegance to your outside garden space.
We believe we have designed and handcrafted the very best quality in exterior lighting, and our collection is available in Ireland, the UK, Europe and further abroad.
You can see our complete outdoor lighting collection on display at our showroom!
The Casting Process, Simplified
First, extremely hot molten metal is poured into our molds which are placed in sand boxes and the molten metal is left to set.
After hardening the rough casting is then finished using sandblasting, grinding, machining work and painting and finally wrapped for shipping.
A Brief History of Street Lighting
- Greek and Roman civilizations used the earliest lamps, where light primarily served the purpose of security, both to protect from tripping and keeping robbers at bay.
- The Romans had a word ‘laternarius’, which was a term for a slave responsible for lighting up the oil lamps
- A “lamplighter” lit all the lamps in town at dusk in some towns in Europe.
- The first modern cast iron light street lamps used kerosene, and were introduced in Lviv, in what was then the Austrian Empire, back in 1853.
- The first electric cast iron lamppost light got the nickname ‘Electric candle’. Russian Pavel Yablochkov invented electric arc lamps in 1875.
- New cast iron street lighting in Paris, France gave rise to the nickname “City of Lights”.
Street Lighting In Ireland
- Street lighting was used in Dublin as early as 1616. When the Candlelight Law was passed, “every fifth house [had] to display a light within prescribed hours”. Candle lighting gradually gave way to oil lighting after this time.
- The first piped-gas cast iron lamppost appeared in Dublin in 1825, and gas was used up to 1957.
- The first public electric cast iron lamppost in Ireland was at Princes Street outside the offices of the Freeman’s Journal in 1880.
- With onset of the industrial revolution, factories were able to produce cast iron more cheaply. This led to the manufacture of cast iron lampposts, wall lights, pillar lights and street lights en masse
Our Outdoor Lights Collection
Outdoor Lighting Ireland designs and handcrafts all of our driveway lighting ranges. We have a range of lights to suit any taste or style of home. We design and handcraft all of our outdoor lighting products in Ireland.
Our Cast Iron Lamppost Range is suitable any of the following:
Garden lights, driveway lights, wall lights, pillar lights, street lights, park lights, exterior lights, copper lights and outdoor lights.
We can adapt our garden lighting products to suit both domestic and commercial projects. As well as this, our outdoor lighting range is fully recyclable. All lanterns use energy efficient bulbs, as standard.
You can see our outdoor lighting products here on our website! If you wish, you can also come to visit the showroom in Kilglass County Roscommon where we have all light ranges on display.
We believe we have achieved a unique and very beautiful exterior lighting product. Please, feel free to contact us!