Ardagh Range - Exterior Lighting
Why we chose the name 'Ardagh' for this range of exterior lighting
Ardagh is a townland in Co. Longford, Ireland, and the word ‘Ardagh’ itself stems from the word ‘Ardachadh’ in Old Irish, meaning ‘high field’. Moreover, the area is closely associated with Saint Mel, who established a monastery in Ardagh in the 5th century. Subsequently, the village of Ardagh grew around the monastery and became an important ecclesiastical and educational center in medieval times.
These days, Ardagh is renowned for its connection to the Ardagh Chalice, which is one of Ireland’s most important archaeological treasures. A local farmer in 1868 discovered it in his field by accident. In fact, archaeologists consider it to be a remarkable example of early Christian metalwork, dating back to the 8th century.
In light of these historical and cultural significances, we felt that naming our range of lighting after the townland of Ardagh would connect our exterior lights to the heritage of Ireland. This connection is particularly relevant as Ardagh is only about 30 kilometres from where our business is situated.